Monday, April 29, 2013

It's Growing! (The Garden, That Is...)

Cilantro sprouts
The beautiful location where I source all of the shortbread herbaceous goodness is GROWING! The place I speak of is my mine and parent's home garden down in the Peninsula where I grew up. This garden is way older than I am and this year we just made renovations to the aging beds of dirt. Our dinky and ineffective wooden beds were no match for squirrels and bunny rabbits. After lots of lots of dirt shoveling, my dad was able to raise the beds about two feet! This especially makes me happy because of the abundance of root veggies I can now grow...Dragon carrots, daikon radish, watermelon radish, Nantes carrots...mmmm.
 adjustments and

Itty bitty herb sprouts
Anways, we started planting seeds and seedlings about a week ago and we're already getting some sproutage! Plenty of herbs. An entire bed devoted to them. Multiple kinds of thyme, rosemary, sage, cilantro, parsley, chives, and more than enough basil for all of the pesto! And the onion bulbs are already peeking through as well. Shallot shortbread anyone? Definitely chive.

Chives!






The baby tomato plants were the first to take root. We have hybrids this year that started to sprout thanks to the many different kinds of tomato varieties we had last year. My mom is an heirloom tomato fanatic, so you can be sure that we had at least 8 kinds of tomatoes co-existing in our cramped, little garden. I feel like our black cherry tomatoes would go pretty well with the basil shortbread...Any maybe some pickled baby Green Zebras?


1 comment: