Monday, April 22, 2013

Getting Started!

Finally! Ferments + Flour is the result of endless experiments in the kitchen. Whether it was messing around with my many shaped vats of bubbling vegetables or the late night cookies I would make for my boyfriend and me.

I've spent all of my time in the kitchen since I was old enough to stand on a stool to help my mom. I'm Italian and Armenian, which just means that all my family does is cook then eat, then repeat. My earliest food memory is picking fresh basil from our garden, only to immediately stand over the food processor with mom and blend it into the pesto that set the bar for all pestos to come. Ever since then, I've been making each and everything that reflects my heritage--from dolmas to risotto to cacciatore--as well as every other heritage as well. There isn't a food culture that doesn't interest me.

My love for all things fermented and floured is very unique to myself. There aren't too many people I know that get super psyched about fermenting vegetables than myself. It's a beautiful thing to preserve a summer veggie and enjoy it in the harsh winter. I've always loved fermenting sweet tea into Kombucha because it made more sense to me than buying it all the time--especially when I grew to like mine more! And once I read The Art of Fermentation and Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz, my inspiration began and grew ever since.

As for baking--that's something that came to me later in life. I prefer a savory snack much more than something sugary, so why couldn't I make a treat that was satisfying in a way that chocolate chip cookies weren't? I kinda get bored with the flavors of typical baked goods (no matter how close they reach to perfection) so I wanted to mess around with flavors and combinations that are uncommon but still make sense. That's how the shortbreads came to be! They still have a sugary undertone, but I've added some tasty odd herb-i-ness to the mix!


I wanted to create Ferments + Flour for everyone because I know that what I make is special and amazing enough to be shared with others. When my mom, my toughest critic, gave her seal of approval, I knew that I was up to something of the right sorts. (Her tastebuds are hard to please.) More importantly, there's nothing as gratifying as when someone tastes my creations and has the most pleasing reaction on their face. I love it when a shortbread is slowly savored with pure enjoyment and I equally love it when it's devoured in a giant mouthful. And nothing feels better than when someone tells me they like my Kombucha more than the popular store-bought brand...



No comments:

Post a Comment